Connect Care Physician Training
One of the best predictors of physician success is effective training. The challenge is that "effective" varies from person to person. Each user starts from a different mix of knowledge, skills and attitudes and each is motivated by different interests. Accordingly, clinical information system (CIS) instruction needs to be sensitive to learner workflows, layered for incremental learning and enabling for self-directed learning. The Connect Care physician training program promotes physicians-training-physicians, custom pathways to competence, and different learning styles. This is explained in a short online presentation.
Training occurs in phases. Basic training covers essential skills for logging on, navigating Hyperspace and using common functions safely. Personalization training teaches how to adapt the CIS environment for a more satisfying experience. Optimization training explores workflow improvement for productivity. Basic and Personalization training occur pre-launch, while Optimization training occurs post-launch.
Training blends self-directed (online), directed (classroom and virtual classroom) and experiential (case-based) delivery methods. All online activities occur through MyLearningLink (mylearninglink.ahs.ca) where physicians find the track they are registered for and the associated competency assessment.
Basic Training provides the knowledge needed to attain 80% or better on a simple competency assessment. This End User Performance Assessment (EUPA), plus InfoCare privacy training, is required to gain access to production Connect Care.
What physicians need to do
- Be sure that MyLearningLink can be accessed wherever self-directed learning will occur.
- Carefully heed MyLearningLink Tips for users of non-AHS devices (see below).
- Complete MyLearningLink eLearnings for assigned training track.
- Prepare for use of videoconferencing if enrolled in virtual classes.
- Be registered for and complete Basic Training (receive and respond to registration email).
- Complete EUPA and confirm its acceptance.
- Carefully follow Tips for installing Connect Care Mobile Apps and PowerMic Mobile.
- Attend Personalization training, gain access to full Connect Care, and configure personal preferences.
- Apply for Continuing Professional Development Credits
There are many excellent resources that physicians can use to prepare for first use of the clinical information system (CIS). Other resources facilitate ongoing discovery of all the ways that the CIS can be shaped to personal preferences.