The Connect Care clinical information system (CIS) is provides access to a continuum-of-care integrated patient health record. It provides information about the patient, as well as information about the delivery of care to that patient. Information about investigations and interventions is always presented in context. The context might be a clinical question, an encounter with health care providers, a stay in a healthcare facility, or series of events linked in an episode of care.
The first step in any Connect Care clinical workflow must connect patient with context. Before looking up a patient, be aware of whether the purpose is to manage a visit (outpatient), admission (inpatient) or connected sequence of events (episode).
Getting this right matters. If a consultant presents in emergency to evaluate a patient and starts Connect Care by looking up the patient, rather than the consult, then actions like admitting the patient will be frustrated because the needed inpatient tools (e.g. admission navigator) will not be present.
When doing an emergency room consult...
- Open the patient chart from the Patient Lists activity using a list of ER patients, a list of specialty consultations or the patient search box at the top right of the Patient Lists activity.
- If the expected inpatient tools are not found, go to Select Encounter activity and pick the ER encounter for the consult.
When seeing an admitted patient...
- Open the patient chart from a list (favourite, system, team, etc.) in the Patient Lists activity, or look up from the search box at the top right of the Patient Lists activity.
When seeing a patient in clinic...
- Open the patient chart from the Schedule workspace so that the correct encounter is also opened.
- If looking up from the general Patient Lookup tool, be sure to also select the encounter of interest.